Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Children's Book that Made a Difference in My Life

For most of my elementary school years, I would not read just for fun. I liked picture books and children’s stories when I was young.  I even wanted to be an author & illustrator, at one point.  Yet, as I got older and was expected to read ‘chapter books’ and not picture books anymore. I lost my interest in reading because I thought chapter books were boring. So I would only read books required for school.

However, this changed when I read Henry and Ribsy by Beverly Clearly.  I started reading it was because my younger brother had really liked it and I was curious to see what he liked about it. I read it and finished it that night. It was over 200 pages and I was surprised how fast I read it, simply because it was funny and I liked the dog who reminded me of my dog. Other than that I was only mildly interested in the story but this was a significant experience because it made me curious to read other books.

Afterwards I started going to the library on my own to find books to read for fun.  I didn't read anymore Henry Huggins series instead I focused on teen books like Nancy Drew and other teen romance/mystery novels. So eventhough this book didn't became a favorite book or one that made me reflect/think critically about life. It made a difference in that it helped me disassociate reading as something related only to school work but see it also as something fun.  And to this day reading remains one of my favorite hobbies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment